Testing Laboratory, Inc.
New wells, wells that have tested positive for Total Coliform
Bacteria, or wells that have not been used regularly
|New wells, wells that have tested positive for Total Coliform Bacteria, or wells that have
not been used regularly MUST BE chlorinated before sampling (or re-sampling). A
procedure for chlorinating follows:
1) Obtain one (1) pint of chlorine bleach solution (5.25% sodium hypochlorite) or a
proportionately larger amount if weaker than 5.25%. It may be bought at a
2) Pour chlorine bleach into the well and operate the pump (run all faucets-cold
side) until the piping system is full of chlorinated water. Allow the chlorinated
water to remain in the well and the piping at least 24 hours.
3) Pump the well water to waste until no odor of chlorine is detected before
collecting a new sample for analysis. This may require pumping a volume of
water equivalent to several times that standing in the well.
NO ODOR OF CHLORINE SHOULD BE PRESENT WHEN THE SAMPLE IS COLLECTED.
2) Allow the water to run to waste for five (5) minutes before filling the sample
|Submitting Samples to the Laboratory
|1) The water sample(s) should be delivered to the laboratory within six (6) hours
from the time of collection. If this is impossible, the filled container(s) must be
placed in a refrigerator for delivery no later than the next day.
2) Samples will be accepted Monday through Thursday, between 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.